Parents and Carers 

SkillsHouse Youth is the local support service for all young people aged 13–19, and up to 25 if they have learning difficulties and disabilities.


We offer young people advice, guidance and support on a range of issues such as education, training, jobs, money and lifestyle decisions, to help them make a smooth transition to adulthood and working life. 

Parents and carers are the single biggest influence on the decisions young people will make about their future, so it is useful to know about the help available to them from SkillsHouse Youth. This has never been more important than now, as all young people must be in some form of education until they are 18.

How can SkillsHouse Youth help?  

All young people can meet a Personal Adviser who will offer practical support, advice and guidance on many issues including: education, careers, work and training, health, housing, money and benefits, volunteering, development opportunities and leisure. 

The range and depth of support will vary according to the needs of the young person at the time. This could include:   

- Help in making options choices or applying for further or higher education   
- Help in finding work or training opportunities   
- Support in school/college to ensure a they complete their course   
- Advice on funding whilst at school or college   
- Advice about spare time activities that could help develop skills   
- Help with benefits or childcare issues   
- Advice and support on housing or issues like health or drugs which would affect their ability to study, train or work

Personal Advisers are happy to meet you with your son or daughter if you feel this will be useful. 

If your child is 16 or under

Personal Advisers can be found in most schools in Bradford - your child can find out where to see them by asking at the Learning Resource Centre.  We can support them to make the right decisions at crucial times in their schooling (e.g. GCSE options, what to do at 16), help them to decide what they might want to do in future, and give practical advice on what they need to do to achieve their goals.

If your child is over 16

If your child has gone into school 6th form, Personal Advisers in school will be able to support them there.  If they are at college, there may also be an Adviser there.  They can ask at Student Services where to find them.

If your child is doing an Apprenticeship, doing some other training or is currently not in any education or employment, they can telephone or email an Adviser  - see our Contact Us page for details.  We can help with job hunting, CVs and applications, interview techniques etc.


  Are you a Young Carer?

For help and information on support available for Young Carers, visit